Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sure, let's just arbitrarily move holidays!

Still trying to get to bed "at a decent hour" this week.  I'm still making it by 10:45 every night, but it's a challenge.

I'm trying to figure out why, at 10PM, there are kids (not teens, but little, elementary school age kids) running around unsupervised outside. What parent thinks this is a good idea (Ok , the parent who wants some peace and quiet in their apartment but, HELLO, this is not suburbia and it isn't safe for the kiddos outside after dark). But these are not my children, right? Why do I care? Is it the whole "it takes a village to raise a child" mindset? Who knows?  I suppose it's none of my damn business and I should just not let it borrow me.

Oh! But I did find something on Facebook tonight. Someone posted some ridiculousness about a legislator in Connecticut who wants to move Halloween to "the last Saturday in October" because it would be more convenient.  Hey buddy, do you suppose we could move Christmas so it always falls on a Thursday so I can have a 4-day weekend?  Halloween is NOT just "trick-or-treat" day, there is an ancient religious REASON it falls when it does and unless you're open to the suggestion of arbitrarily moving Christmas to make it more convenient, I suggest you leave Halloween alone.  That being said, having the annual "trick-or-treat" day always be on the last Saturday of October is fine with me, just call it "trick-or-treat day" and not HALLOWEEN.

And please, if you feel the need to flame me to a crisp over this, do it via email.  For the record, I am not a satanist, honestly, Satan isn't even part of my belief system.  All I am saying is you can't just arbitrarily move holidays to make them more convenient if they have a historical religious significance.

No comments:

Post a Comment