Tuesday, April 24, 2012

S/he who is forewarned...

The Blogosphere is a magnificent and wonderous place.  It opens up new venues for friendships that might not exist without it. You can reach out and "meet" people all over the world.  But, because subtle things cannot be conveyed perfectly in a written medium, sometimes you may find that you have unintentionally gotten on someone's shit list. 

Sometimes, too, you write something that might be provocative and there are people who won't like what you have to say and they will either stop reading your blog or maybe make a snarky comment on your blog.  I've seen it happen.  Sometimes those relationships can be repaired. Other times they can't.

In the 90's, back before the current incarnation of the Internet, there were BBS's. You tended to get local people from these groups meeting each other. I was an idiot at a New Year's Eve party and managed to pretty much, in one fell swoop, cut my social circle down to pretty much nothing.  I'd like to think I am older and wiser now, but I still tend to be somewhat socially inept.  Part of it comes from circumstances growing up, part of it is just my personality.  I tend to be one of those people that people don't feel "middle-of-the-road" about... they either adore me or loathe me.

Still, there are times when I think I've "clicked" with someone and then something happens that I don't quite "get" and I encounter a cold shoulder.  And I'm never quite sure how to approach it. Do I just walk away without trying to figure things out?  Do I ask and risk getting told "you know what you did" when I honestly DON'T know what I did?  Do I ask a mutual friend to be an intermediary (that strikes me as  pretty juvenile, actually). 

There's really no "point" to this whole thing... I'm musing on a situation/situations and my inability to find "the right thing" to do.

Unrelated...The Center for Biological Diversity sent me a package.  They have a program that focuses on the environmental impact of overpopulation and they distribute over 100,000 condoms. Guess what was in my package?  Nowhere near 100,000 condoms, but a bunch of condoms. And I am hoping that I will get around to putting up the giveaway info this weekend.  I am hoping that no one is offended by a condom giveaway.  If you are offended, I hope you will just skip those posts and come back again another time.  I'm here to make friends and discover a world outside of my little corner of it.

1 comment:

  1. I never know the right thing to do. I spend most of my time just trying not to look overly weird.

    ReplyDelete